Friday, September 08, 2006

The Golden Throne Of An IFBX Icon


I wanted to take this opportunity and post something on more of a light note. We have all been grieved and saddened by the horrendous assumptions and outright man-worship exhibited in the video from the First Baptist Youth Conference. All of the controversy and attention on Jack Hyles' golden chair er throne reminded me of something I read a couple of years ago.

I imagine that the actual chair that Jack Hyles sat ensconced upon week after week in Hammond is actually on display somewhere. If I were a betting man I would wager that the well-worn golden-hewed throne is enclosed in the glass case of a memorabilia room at 8400 Burr Street. Chances are it is somewhere between a pair of Pastor Hyles' black Stacey Adams shoes and the wreckage of Lester Roloff's last flight.

As we head into the weekend I want everyone here to just kick back and enjoy reading this poem written by Pastor Jack Schaap as the plush golden chair that Pastor Hyles enjoyed for many decades was retired from service. I remember as a young child hearing a poem read similar to this one only focusing on Christ's manger, a boat He preached from, and the cross on which He was crucified. Somehow this poem does not have the same "punch" for obvious reasons (unless you are a rabid Hylesite).

Well, here we go--enjoy this masterpiece that was read at Pastor's School 2001. I am looking forward to your comments.

Phineas

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

And to think a spotted owl might have resided in that tree as well.

Two questions:

1. Was the pulpit really bullet-proofed?

2. Does FBC really have the wreckage of Lester Roloff's plane? I'd have assumed you were joking. But after watching that video, anything seems on the table.

BeckyJoie said...

Chuckle. I guess one could rig up a tickle button in the chair to chill out the next person who sits in the chchchchairairair.

BeckyJoie said...

Actually, it sounds like a remake of the poem about the cross that Geraldine and Ricky used to do (ventroliquist and her dummy).

Matthew Richards said...

buckeyebap,

1. Yes, the pulpit was bulletproof
2. Yes, the wreckage of Roloff's plane is, or at least was, on the HaC campus.

I have not been on the hac campus since 1995--at that time there was a memorial to Roloff with his plane wreckage on display.

beckyjoie,

I remember the Geraldine and Ricky bit as well! I used to love that little rascal!

Matthew

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was really inspiring. It got me to thinking about other instruments that were used to support this man of God. Of course, when I'm inspired, I use iambic pentameter.

I was born in a lowly stable
just a little spotted calf,
I sensed my life would not be long,
I’d never grow to play and laugh.

My mother was an older cow
Who provided milk and cream
But as a male I was born to die
Long life was just a dream.

But still there was some hope for me
That I could do some good
I’d heard about this royal chair
That started as some wood.

Perhaps my hide could be used to wrap
This man’s Scofield KJV
I’d be the sword in the hands
Of fundamentalist royalty

Or maybe I’d be the belt of truth
Wrapped ‘round the God man’s waist
I’d hold him up as he preached the Word
and save dear souls with haste.

He’d pull me off for another use
When his children needed spanked
The rod of correction I could be
And later I’d be thanked

I have an even higher dream
If I could be so bold
Could I just be a leather coat
To shelter him from cold.

It’s really just a small request
It could hardly be deemed wrong
To be the garment that is touched
By the many admiring throngs

What’s this I hear you have in store
What is this fate I’ll meet?
I’m going to be a pair of shoes?
You’re going to put me on his feet?

Oh please, dear Lord, why must I be
given a fate so bleak
To have to endure smelly socks
seven days a week

But then I heard the Lord’s reply
and I want the world to know
That while the coat would keep him warm
His shoes would make him go.

The miles he trod to seek the lost
he made through snow and rain
and I protected him from the cold
and kept him out of pain.

I walked with him for many miles
I caught his many tears
I also felt his laughs and smiles
As he wore me through the years.

Now I see God’s bigger plan
that He had in store for me
Of all the things God could have done
I became part of history.

I never preached a sermon
I never read the Word
But I was there for every step
As he made God’s voice heard.

Just a humble little calf
born in a stable filled with hay,
What have I done in my life you ask?
This is what I say:

I provided soles that saved some souls
and filled some empty pews;
Without a voice I preached the word
For I became Jack Hyles’ shoes.

Matthew Richards said...

BRAVO DEAR FRIEND! I just spewed coffee on my blue dress shirt! You certainly have a knack for the dramatic--I only wish you could have worked in a reference to Stacey Adams shoes--these were his soles of choice! I may need to ask your permission to make that its own post--with credit to you of course.

Matthew

Anonymous said...

Matthew,

Sorry about your shirt. Had I known the importance of the Stacey Adams reference I would have certainly tried to work it in. Feel free to do as you wish with it. No credit is needed. Please note...my pseudo-anonymity was borne out of embarrassment, not cowardice.

Pat

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Jack Hyles was a CPA too...

BeckyJoie said...

Someone want to write a poem about cheddar melts Jack Hyles ate?