Allow us to begin this particular blog entry with an earnest apology for the upcoming link and subsequent video that you are about to view. In no way does it reflect the views of the staff here at B&C. What you are about to see is hyper-cultural-fundie sensationalism at its worst.
We recently had the unfortunate privilege to view the promotional video for Youth Conference 2006. We apologize for not finding this sooner--Youth Conference is now over, but this video speaks volumes. I for one cannot remember ever watching something so stomach wrenching. I fondly remember the old "Church With A Heart" video that FBCH made back in the late 80's and all of the aggrandizement found there--I have to admit that this current little eight minute video clip exhibits even more arrogance--truly disturbing.
You can find the video here--I recommend that everyone view this realizing that we here at Bread and Circuses did NOT produce this video to bolster the points we have been making the last few months! It is almost too perfect in that it fits everything that has been said concerning the anthropocentric philosophy of ministry put forth in Hammond. As you might suspect there are those who can view this filth and not find anything out of line--this is sad but not surprising when dealing with this group.
If you listen closely you will hear the adoring fans in the background as this was shown at Youth Conference 2006--or was it a rock concert? Not sure judging by the screaming fans as the name "Jack Hyles" was announced!
Here is a brief view of the characters found in the video--notice the relevance of most and the irrelevance of a few:
- Thomas Jefferson and the Founding Fathers
- General MacArthur
- Vietnam Veterans
- Marines and Navy corpsman raise flag atop Mount Suribachi at Iwo Jima
- Jack Hyles standing as his church is burned by an arsonist
- Apollo 11 landing on the moon for the first time in history
- Miracle on Ice as USA Olympians defeat Russians in 1980 Winter Games
- John F. Kennedy and his opposition of communism
- Ronald Reagan and his opposition of communism and the fall of the Berlin Wall
- Students in Tiananmen Square standing against the tanks of Red China
- George Bush after 9-11 at Ground Zero promising retribution
- Thousands voting in Baghdad for the first time after the fall of the Hussein regime
- Thousands of Christians giving their lives as martyrs from AD 33 to AD 2006
- CH Spurgeon
- DL Moody
- J Frank Norris
- Billy Sunday
- John R Rice
- Lee Roberson
- Jack Hyles
- Jack Schaap